These resources are divided into two sections: a section for those traveling the road of infertility and one for pastors and ministry leaders. As one traverses this barren land to the promised land of motherhood, many questions arise. Gaining wisdom through various resources helps reduce fear, provides hope and better communication with your spouse and the medical professionals. The cracks in the land seem to close, giving a surer footing and a firmer foundation to continue the journey. It is our intent for these tools to help pastors and ministry leaders to connect with those desiring children or dealing with loss, giving hope to couples everywhere.
Stepping Stones A ministry of Bethany Christian Services. Lists all support groups available by state. www.bethany.org/step
Houston, Texas Area
HOPE - Hearts Of Promise & Expectation for Women Christian Infertility Support group for those suffering infertility, secondary infertility, miscarriage, or failed adoption attempts.
Two Locations Available:
Lakewood Church, Houston, meets 1st Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the New Beginnings Rm., 2nd floor. Spanish interpretation available. 3700 Southwest Frwy, Houston, Texas 77027. Contact: Lesli Westfall, firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-635-4154.
The Ark Church, Conroe/The Woodlands, meets 2nd Tuesday of the month at 7:00 p.m. 450 Humble Tank Rd., Conroe, Texas 77304. Contact Lesli Westfall and for more info@DancingUponBarrenLand.com.
Hannah’s Hope – Meets every Monday at 5:30 p.m. Contact: Valerie Noggle.
Denver, Colorado (Denver or Thornton area)
Resolve Infertility & Adoption Peer led support group meeting on the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Contact: Carrie Hutto, email@example.com, 256-649-0282
Location: Citizens Baptist Med. Ctr., (Talladega Hospital), Talladega, Alabama.
Childfree Living Group: 1st Friday of every month (location varies) 7:00 p.m.
Infertility Support Group: 3rd Friday of every month (location varies) 7:00 p.m.
Adoption Group: Contact for time and location
For two months, the groups listed above meet separately. Then on the third month all three groups gather as one group and hold a social outing with spouses. Contact: Kim Bench (303) 563-9151 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Iowa (Mason City)
Hope While Waiting meets the 1st Thrusday of every month at Mason City Public Libraray (Large Group Study Room) 225 2nd St. SE, Mason City, IA 50401. Contact: Emily or Megan at email@example.com
L.I.F.E. – Living with Infertility Female Encouragement,Meets the 2nd & 4th Sunday of the month, 7:00 p.m. at Celebration Community Church. Contact: Amber McLaughlin.
Louisiana (Baton Rouge)
Sarah’s Laughter - Contact: Beth Forbus, firstname.lastname@example.org
Maryland (Upper Marlboro)
Abraham’s Promise Ministry – Contact: Keely Walston, Asst. Director
First Baptist Church of Glenarden, 600 Watkins Park Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774
Sisters of Hannah: meets every 4th Monday at 7PM except for August
Husbands of Hannah: meets on the 4th Monday at 7PM in March, June, Sept and Dec
Adoption/Foster Care group: meets every other month on the 2nd Saturday 10:30am-noon
(no meeting in August)
First Baptist Church of Glenarden, Ministry Center, 3600 Brightseat Rd. Landover, MD 20774
Patiently Waiting. Contact Kari Nokken at email@example.com
Missouri (Blue Springs, Suburb of Kansas City)
Sisters of Hannah – Meets 1st Tuesday of every month, Timothy Lutheran Church. Contact: Allison Spencer.
North Carolina (Brevard)
Infertility Support Group – Meeting at Brevard Community Church, 417 Morris Rd., Brevard, North Carolina, 828-884-5932, contact: Erica Patton.
Journey of Hope – Infertility or Adoption Group mets the 3rd Monday of every month September – November and January – May at 6:30 p.m. Meetings are held at Orchard Hill Church, 2551 Brandt School Road, Wexford, Pennsylvania 15090 (724) 272- 1639. Childcare is provided for by adopted teens for $5 donation per child. Contact: Meg Godwillfillthisnest@gmail.com or www.orchardhillchurch.com
South Carolina (Mt. Pleasant)
Sisterhood Infertility is a place for women to connect and support one another through various infertility struggles. Though our stories may be different, if it is the desire of your heart to be a mother and the road has not been easy, this is the place for you. Our purpose is to seek God’s will and look to Him for comfort, peace, and growth during this season. Meeting time: 1st & 3rd Thursday of every month. Contact: Lena Amstutz, 843-730-1756, firstname.lastname@example.org
Meeting: Seacoast Church, 750 Long Point Rd., Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina 29464
Hopeful Hearts – A Biblically based support group helping those who are growing their families. Open to any woman who’s experiencing infertility, secondary infertility, miscarriage or adoption. The group meets every other Wednesday for a Spring 6 week session on January 8, February 5, 19, March 5, 19 and April 2nd in Room 202. www.highpointmemphis.com/hopefulhearts
Location: Highpoint Church, 6000 Briarcrest Ave., Memphis, TN 38120. 901.762.0071
United Kingdom & Australia
New Life Ministries: Bringing Life to Barrenness A multi-lingual website that lists support groups in Australia and the United Kingdom, along with online support for Asia. www.newlifeministries.com.au
Resources for those on the Infertility Road
- The Infertility Companion: Hope and Help for Couples Facing Infertility, Sandra L. Glahn and William R. Cutrer, Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1997.
- Longing for a Child – Devotional of hope through your journey of infertility. Kathe Wunnenberg, Zondervan, 2005.
- Water from the Rock – Finding God in the Midst of Infertility, Donna Gibbs, Moody Publishers, 2002. Biblical based strategies to help couples and women move from emotional grief to spiritual growth.
- Moments for Couples Who Long For Children, by Ginger Garrett, NavPress 2003. Daily Devotional for couples on the infertility journey.
- A Graceful Waiting, Jan Frank. When there is nothing more you can do, God’s deeper work has just begun. www.janfrank.org
- Surviving Infertility Bible Study, Beth Forbus. www.sarahs-laughter.com
- When God Doesn’t Make Sense, James Dobson, an immensely practical book for those struggling with trials and heartaches that they don’t understand. www.family.org
- Disapointment with God, Phillip Yancy, Zondervan, 1988. The questions no one asks aloud.
- Moment’s of Grace – “His Longings Linger”, Lesli Westfall, compiled by Linda Gilden, Forever Books, 2008. One woman’s story of how she took the inward focus that infertility can cause and projected it outward, towards compassion for others. www.amazon.com
- Dancing Upon Barren Land - Spiritual Nourishment for the Infertility Road - Providing hope and the love of God through online support for women suffering infertility, along with resources for family, friends and ministry leaders. www.dancinguponbarrenland.com
- Hannah’s Hope - Online support to married women going through fertility challenges. www.hannah.org
- Sarah’s Laughter - Online support, as well as infertility seminars, provides memorial services for miscarriages/stillbirth. www.sarahs-laughter.com
- New Life Ministries: Bringing Life to Barrenness - Multi-lingual online support, seminars and prayer meetings for infertility issues. Specifically for the regions in the United Kingdom, Australia and Asia. www.newlifeministries.com.au
- Sparkles of Life – dedicated to supporting families on their path of parenthood, whether trying to conceive, adopt or recent loss. www.sparklesoflife.org
- The National Infertility Association - Their mission is to provide support, education and advocacy to those who suffer with the disease of infertility. www.resolve.org
- Stepping Stones - Online support for Christian couples facing infertility or pregnancy loss. www.bethany.org/step
- Supernatural Childbirth, Jackie Mize, Harrison House, Inc. 1993. A practical and realistic look at God’s promises for conception, pregnancy and delivery.
- God’s Plan for Pregnancy, Nerida Walker, 2nd Edition, Ark House, 2009. A pocketbook designed as a hands-on guide for you to put God’s Word into practice in your life.
Health / Body / Nutrition
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health, Toni Weschler, Collins Living, 2006.
- Healthy Expectations-Preparing a Healthy Body for a Healthy Baby, Pamela Smith, Creative House Publishing, 1998.
- Fertility Foods: Optimizing Ovulation & Conception through Food Choices. Jeremi Groce, Lorie Grall. Simon & Schuster, 2006.
- When the Cradle is Empty – Coping with Infertility, John and Sylvia Regenmorter, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. 2004. Covers a broad spectrum of infertility from a husband and wife’s point of view. Available in Spanish.
- Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology, Beginning of Life, Spring 2003, Vol.4, No.1 – several chapter’s dealing with ethics such as: embryonic stem cell research, prenatal diagnostic testing and the moral significance of bioethics and the church. To order, contact the Institute of Mennonite Studies/Seminary, Elkhart, Indiana, www.mennovision.org
- Outside the Womb: Moral Guidance for Assisted Reproduction, Scott Rae, D. Joy Riley, Moody Publishing, 2011.
- Christian Medical & Dental Association - Provides detailed, biblically based answers to tough ethical questions regarding fertility treatments. www.cmdahome.org
Christian Medical & Dental Association - Provides detailed, biblically based answers to tough ethical questions regarding fertility treatments. www.cmdahome.org
Tests and Procedures
- The Infertility Companion: Hope and Help for Couples Facing Infertility, Sandra Glahn, Zondervan, 2004.
- Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health, Toni Weschler, Collins Living, 2006.
- My Hopeful Journey -My Hopeful Journey is a web-based calendar, task list and journal for women that are trying to conceive. www.myhopefuljourney.com
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine – A non-profit organization devoted to advanced knowledge and expertise in reproductive medicine, including infertility. www.asrm.org
- MedlinePlus Infertility - U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institute of Health - Receive the latest articles on research involving reproduction. www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/infertility.html
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (U.S.A.) – Shows success rates of IVF clinics, lists locations of clinics by state. This site is highly recommended to view before searching for a Reproductive Endocrinologist, IVF doctor. It is important to note the live births success rate vs. the pregnancy success rate. www.sart.org
- www.endotext.org, an extensive online textbook about male and female reproduction.
Miscarriage / Stillbirth /Grief
- Experiencing Grief, H. Norman Wright, B&H Publishers, 2004. A pocketbook to aid those through the five stages of grief.
- Grieving the Child I Never Knew, Kathe Wunnenberg, Zondervan 2001. A Devotional companion for comfort in the loss of your unborn or newly born child.
- When Love and Sorrow Embrace: the Sufficiency of God’s Grace through the Heartache of Miscarriage, Beth Forbus, Xulon Press, 2006.
- Forever in our Hearts – A memory book that helps a grieving couple or woman memorialize their loss. Focus on the Family, www.family.org
- From Sorrow to Serenity: Meditations for Those Who Have Suffered Pregnancy or Infant Loss by Susan Fletcher (Hunter Houste, 1998).
- When a Baby Dies by Ronald Nash. Rich insight in hope for parents seeking comfort. Zondervan, 1999.
- What Was Lost: A Christian Journey through Miscarriage by Elise Erickson Barret. Westminster John Knox Press, 2010.
- I’ll Hold You in Heaven, Jack Hayfor, Gospel Light, 2003.
- AMEND (Aiding Mothers [and Fathers] Experiencing Neonatal Death) - Providing volunteer one-on-one peer counseling for those who have experienced miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death. www.amendgroup.com
- Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death (M.E.N.D.) - A Christian Outreach to those who have lost a child due to miscarriage, stillbirth, or early infant death. Support Groups, quarterly newsletter and website. www.mend.org
- CLIMB (Center for Loss in Multiple Births, Inc.) - Parent-to-parent support for the death of one or all multiples. International and multilingual. www.climb-support.org
- Wanting Another Child: Coping with Second Infertility, Harriet Fishman Simons, Jossey-Boss Publishing, 1998.
- Leah after Judah - Support, information and encouragement for Christian women enduring secondary infertility. www.leahafterjudah.com
- Show Hope - Adoption aid, how to start an adoption fund ministry at your church and orphan care, created by contemporary Christian singer Steven Curtis Chapman. www.showhope.org
- Christian International Adoption - One of the largest international adoption agencies in the U.S.A. www.cwa.org
- National Adoption Foundation - Provides financial resources, info and services for adoptive or prospective adoptive families. www.nafadopt.org
- Adoptive Families of America Magazine - A magazine with information for families before, during and after adoption. www.adoptivefamilies.com
Frozen Embryo Donation and Adoption - Donation: Frozen embryos represent hope for infertile couples. With close to 500,000 frozen embryos stored in the U.S.A. alone, this can give a childless couple a chance to adopt and birth a child. Pray and consider donating your frozen embryo(s).
Adoption: If you are one who has ovulation dysfunction, yet have a viable uterus to carry a child, this may be an option for you. Prayerfully consider adopting a frozen embryo.
- www.embryoadoption.org Increases awareness and understanding of the hope embryo adoption and donation offers to peoples struggling with infertility.
- www.nightlight.org Snowflake Adoption Program. This program recognizes and advocates the person hood of pre-born children. Assisting birth parents and genetic parents in making a wise and loving plan for their child’s future.
- Budgeting for Infertility: How to Bring Home a Baby Without Breaking the Budget, Evelina Weidman Sterling & Angie Best-Boss, Fireside 2009. Detailed information on fertility plans, budget and insurance coverage.
- Debt You’re Fired, Wealth You’re Hired, Greg Petsch, 2006.
- Crown Ministries - Presents Biblical truths relating to stewardship and practical money management. www.crown.org
- Battlefield of the Mind, Joyce Meyer, Warner Faith Books, Inc. 1995. Find peace and stop the brain storm of mental activity with biblical truth.
- One Year Bible, Tyndale House Publishing, 2005.
- The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman, Northfield Publishing, 1992. How to express heartfelt commitment to your mate.
- Love & Respect, Dr. Emerson Eggrichs, Thomas Nelson 2004. The love she most desires and the respect he desperately needs. Companion workbook available.
- Sexual Intimacy in Marriage, Focus on the Family book, 3rd edition, Kregel Productions. Available in Spanish.
- Moments for Couples Who Long For Children, Ginger Garrett, NavPress 2003.
- Daily Devotional for couples on the infertility journey. NavPress, 2003.
- The Power of a Praying Wife, Stormie Omartian, Harvest House Publishers, 1997. Available in Spanish.
- The Power of a Praying Husband, Stormie Omartian, Harvest House Publishers, 1997.
Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman’s Soul, Stasi & John Eldredge, Thomas Nelson, 2007.
A Man’s Perspective
- Overcoming Male Infertility, Leslie R. Schover & Anthony J. Thomas Jr., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2000. A complete guide to male infertility from a psychologist and a male infertility specialist.
- Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secrets of a Man’s Soul, John Eldredge, Thomas Nelson, 2001. The author invites men to recover their masculine heart, defined in the image of a passionate God.
- Every Good and Perfect Gift, Shannon K. Souza, Navpress, 2008. A tale of two life-long friends, through infertility and birth.
- The Greatest Miracle in the World – Og Mandino, Bantom Books, 1975. A book of joyous hope and promise, containing a Memorandum from God…to you.
- Rain Dance by Joy DeKok. Pleasant Word, 2003. A woman experiencing infertility and a woman seeking abortion are both waiting to see the same doctor. This is an intriguing novel that ends in hope and healing.
- Christianity Today - Search: infertility. A wide range of articles from a God-honoring standpoint. www.christianitytoday.com
- Conceive On-line, www.conceiveonline.com
A few songs to bring living water to your thirsty soul! Inspirational music from Contemporary Christian artists.
- “Thought You’d Be Here”, A Room Full, Wes King. Sparrow Song, 1997. The artist shares his reflection on infertility.
- “When Love Take You In”, Declaration, Steven Curtis Chapman. Sparrow, 2001. A song written by an adoptive dad, comparing human adoption to God’s adoptive love for us.
- “You Are Not Forgotten”, A Deeper Level, Israel Houghton and New Breed. Sony, 2007.
- “Our Hope Endures”, Relentless, Natalie Grant. Curb Records, 2008.
- “While I’m Waiting”, The Blessing, John Waller. Reunion 2007. What do we do while we wait? We worship Him!
- “You Are For Me”, Kari Jobe, Kari Jobe. Gateway Create Publishing, 2009.
- “Rain Down”, I Have To Believe, Rita Springer. Floodgate Records, 2005.
- “Glory Baby”, All Things New, Watermark. Rocketown Records, 2000. Song for a baby miscarried, stillborn, or died in infancy.
- “I Still Believe”, Stay, Jeremy Camp. Bec Recordings/Emd, 2002.
- “Joseph’s Song”, The Promise, Michael Card. Sparrow Records, 1994. A song reflects Joseph’s feeling as Jesus’ adoptive father.
- “A Visitor from Heaven”, Beyond a Dream, Twila Paris. Sparrow Records, 1993. Saying good-bye to a child.
- “Good-bye for Now”, Corner of Eden, Kathy Troccoli. Reunion Records, 1998.
- “I Would Die for That”, Kellie Coffey, Duet 2006.
- “Holding On”, Jamie Grace.
- “I Have Found”, Kim Walker- Smith.
- “Stand”, Britt Nicole.
- “The Sun is Rising”, Britt Nicole.
- “Wouldn’t Change a Thing”, Matthew West.
- “Bigger Than My Imaginiation”, Marcos Witt
- “Strong Enough”, Matthew West
- “Held”, Natalie Grant.
- “With Hope”, Steven Curtis Chapman
- Facing the Giants - A compelling movie of one couple’s faith and triumph, daring to trust God to do the impossible! www.facingthegiants.com
- Love Finds a Home - One woman’s look to a higher power for strength, wisdom and diplomacy as she struggles to conceive. Adapted from the Love Comes Softly book series by author Janette Oke. 20th Centruy Fox, 2009